Monday, January 19, 2009

Solo Traveling Best Tips

1) Buy or borrow GREAT clothes. You will feel ready for positive adventure and the confidence that you exhude will get you the best table, room and most anything you desire. This works on a day to day basis at home as well. In america we are so superficial and focused on the pretty...use it positively to your travel advantage where people are so intrigued with American women of all hues, shapes and sizes.

Splurge on a silk scarf that pulls it all together!

2) Go to the best resturants that you choose to afford. I dine at the same time as the others. Dressed well, with a huge smile people wonder who you are, where you are from and the like. I politely do not tolerate a side,back or inferior table.(at home either) Be prepared for the flirtateous eyes of husbands and others. Take your journal vs. a crossword puzzel. That way you can live in the moment, record what you see, feel, experience. Write about the tables, waiters and others around you then share that with us one day... and have someone take your photo while dining or enjoying a nice glass of wine. The pictures that I have to make several copies of, for friends and family are the ones with me on the French Riviera with wine and a smile or the pictures of me entering a GREAT resturant, monument or entertainment venue, waving the ticket or program... or one where the entire kitchen is at my table trying to kiss or caress me in a totally fun way!

Be entertained by the envious looks from wives who wish they had your courage. Smile kindly at women who are saddled with baddly behaved kids. Even offer to take one for her...they never refuse you!

3) I wear my wedding ring...not just the band. I have tried it both ways and when out shopping in Europe especially , I get treated much better with my actual ring...I think they may be on to two incomes buy more than one. We know better.(smile) I think they may think that I can go back to my room and get more money out of my husband if needed. I also know that the band alone seems of no significance in Europe, especially with men and women of all social classes.

4) Take some group tours. "older" people are on them and these travelers LOVE to talk, listen and really get to know you. You get to know about them and how they have stayed married for so long etc. I have some great friends that I have met this way. Also "older" couples are less threatened by you as an "alone" woman. The men insist on buying you drinks if you want, its their generation.

IN CLOSING:
All of the above has worked for me and my personality. I love travel and I love people. I try and respect the "signals " of men and women. Many men with women would love to have you "do" the rest of your travels with "them". KNOW that the women, no matter how polite would like for you to decline her out of touch husbands invitations. Go dancing, go to the museums, cathedrals, significant sights, best bars, gardens, resturants, entertainment etc. Do it all! Be visible and be present.

Safety: do as you would at home or when you are with someone, be aware of your environment, use common sense and for women, follow your gift of intuition!

For travel to third world countries, see my response to should women travel to Morocco alone and maybe another time I will chat about some very serious experiences in Morocco and in Turkey.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Traveling solo is one of the great adventures in life. I've traveled all over the world, mostly by myself, and have never encountered any problems. The important thing to remember is to stay alert to your surroundings. Don't make yourself a target by wearing expensive jewelry or clothes. Keep your handbag close to your body and be wary of pickpockets. Better yet, don't carry a bag and use a concealed money pouch. Stay in well lit populated areas at night.

    I've dined alone at many restaurants and have always been treated well. Sometimes it's fun just to sit and watch the world go by at a quaint outdoor cafe or small eatery. I leave the posh restaurants to others and enjoy the family run establishments where the food is good, plentiful and less expensive. Half of the fun of going to another part of the world is trying their cuisine. You'll discover new favorites that way and make friends with the locals. A Chinese restaurant owner in Singapore gave me special treatment because I asked for chopsticks. He was delighted! I returned two days later, and he seated me at the best table and gave me extra food, smiling all the while.

    Learning a few words of the language will go a long way in most countries. It shows that you're trying to connect with the people, and will probably cause a smile or two.

    Let common sense prevail. Keep a light on in your hotel room and turn the TV on while you're out to give the impression that someone is there. Always, always keep your door locked! Don't leave room service notices on your door with your first name...a signal that a single female is in the room. Never give your room number to anyone you don't know. If someone is following you in the hotel corridor, pass by your room and return when the hall is empty.

    Above all, have fun! Solo travel is a great pleasure. You can do what you want when you want with no one to hold you back. Savor the experience!!

    ReplyDelete